The Coalition promotes meaningful participation and collaboration among community, education and government stakeholders. Using the approach of community development and empowerment, we provide youth leadership training so that immigrant and ethnocultural youth can develop the skills and knowledge (capacity) to be actively involved in making positive contributions to their community.
Leadership Program for Culturally Diverse Youth (October 2017 to February 2018) –
Community leadership plays an important role in a vibrant civil society. It encourages civic participation, promotes community viability and sustainability, and fosters a deep sense of connection of citizens to the land and to other community members. In a multicultural Canadian society, community leadership is strengthened by the diversity of worldviews, knowledge, wisdom, life experiences, and ways of living.
The overall goal of this Leadership Development program is to support and empower immigrant and ethnocultural youth to enhance their leadership capacities, and make positive contributions in the community. The key objectives of the program include:
- To promote empowerment among immigrant and ethnocultural youth participants;
- To enhance critical thinking and leadership capacities of immigrant youth in the areas of community organization, organizational management and project management;
- To increase the capacity of immigrant youth to develop, implement and evaluate youth-led initiatives; and
- To enhance access of immigrant youth to Calgary’s community leaders and positive mentorship for community leadership.
- Immigrant and ethnocultural youth, either first generation immigrants (those born outside of Canada) or first-generation Canadians (those with at least one parent born outside of Canada)
- Aged between 18 and 27
- Youth that possess leadership capabilities and aspire to become leaders