Did you know that
- Immigrant and ethnocultural youth make up 25% of the public school population in Calgary.
- Longitudinal studies have found these youth have a harder time realizing their dreams because of their complex realities.
- They face the unravelling of their identities and belonging.
- Some vulnerable youth are propelled towards criminal gang activity.
- Only 1 in 5 schools have a plan or strategy to address cultural diversity and competence.
- Even those that graduate, mostly struggle academically in post-secondary settings.
- Under-employment among these students represents a loss of educational and intellectual capital that Canada needs to sustain a competitive economy.